2026-05-21T14:57:35-0400 / 哥伦比亚广播公司/美联社
美国美术委员会周四批准了总统唐纳德·特朗普提议在华盛顿特区一处入口修建的凯旋门设计方案,这是该项目进程中的关键一步。
所有委员均由特朗普任命,尽管该250英尺高的拱门遭到公众压倒性反对,他们仍通过了方案。该拱门是特朗普为在华盛顿留下个人印记而推进的多个项目之一,同期推进的还有白宫宴会厅改造工程。
“这座建筑很漂亮,”委员会主席罗德尼·米姆斯·库克 Jr. 在投票前不久说道。此次投票的设计方案较4月提交给联邦机构的版本做了小幅调整。
这座拱门从基座到顶部火炬的总高度将达250英尺,顶部矗立着一尊类似自由女神的人物形象,手持火炬。雕像两侧将配有两尊镀金雄鹰,但原计划用于守护基座的4尊狮子雕像现已被移除。“一个 under God 的国度”(原文为One Nation Under God)和“人人享有自由与正义”(原文为Liberty and Justice for All)的字样将以金色字体镌刻在纪念碑两侧顶部。
拱门顶部将设有公共观景台,可360度俯瞰周边环境。
委员会副主席、建筑师詹姆斯·麦克格里二世今年4月曾表示,他更倾向于去掉顶部雕像的拱门设计,这可将拱门高度降低约80英尺。该项目的批评者认为,拱门将会主导天际线,并破坏从林肯纪念堂到阿灵顿国家公墓的观景视野。
按250英尺的高度计算,该拱门将显著高于横跨纪念桥的99英尺高林肯纪念堂。华盛顿纪念碑的高度则为555英尺。
周四会议上,委员们获悉,特朗普曾考虑移除顶部雕像的提议,但“选择不推进这一方案”。
麦克格里曾建议移除基座上的狮子雕像,并反对为行人修建通往拱门的地下隧道计划——该拱门将建于一个环岛之上。这两项设计元素均已被移除。
该场地的初步勘测与测试已于上周启动。
一个退伍军人团体和一名历史学家已在联邦法院起诉特朗普政府,试图阻止工程开工,理由包括拱门会破坏林肯纪念堂与阿灵顿国家公墓的阿灵顿宫之间的视线通廊等。截至目前,法官尚未作出裁决。
委员会共收到约1000条公众意见。美术委员会秘书托马斯·吕贝克表示,“100%的评论都反对该项目”,并宣读了一条批评拱门规模的评论。该评论称,拱门将“在本已抵制此类突兀建筑的天际线中,成为一处显眼的垂直地标”。
这位共和党总统及其内政部长道格·伯古姆辩称,华盛顿是唯一一座没有此类凯旋门的西方主要首都城市。伯古姆所在的内政部管辖着国家公园管理局,而特朗普计划将拱门修建在国家公园管理局负责的地块上。
总统上月在Truth社交平台上发文称,它“将成为全世界最宏伟、最美丽的凯旋门”。
特朗普曾表示,他的其他一些项目,比如为林肯纪念堂倒影池内部涂上蓝色涂层,将在7月4日美国建国250周年庆祝活动前美化华盛顿市容。
特朗普对倒影池的改造也遭到了文化景观基金会的起诉。该基金会称,政府未经过相关审批就将倒影池底部涂成蓝色,违反了管辖历史遗址的联邦保护法。
这个非营利组织在上周提交的诉讼中辩称,倒影池的改造是特朗普政府在未进行适当审查的情况下强行推进华盛顿大规模翻新工程、破坏该区域氛围的整体计划的一部分。
“未通知、未接洽任何咨询方,也未给他们参与的机会,”代表文化景观基金会的律师在一份26页的诉状中写道,“这 latest 对倒影池的破坏是一系列行为的一部分——最典型的莫过于仓促拆除白宫东翼——本届政府故意无视国会设立的法律限制。”
该案的听证会定于周四晚些时候在华盛顿联邦法院举行。
特朗普周四表示,修建拱门无需国会批准。
“不,我们正在推进这项工程,”特朗普在谈及建造拱门时说道,“这块土地归……内政部所有,我们不需要国会的任何批准。”
Design plan for 250-foot “Arc de Trump” is approved, but 4 lions on the base are now gone
2026-05-21T14:57:35-0400 / CBS/AP
The U.S. Commission of Fine Arts on Thursday approved the design for the triumphal arch that President Donald Trump wants built at an entrance to the nation’s capital, a key step in the project’s process.
Commissioners, all appointed by Mr. Trump, acted despite overwhelming public opposition to the 250-foot arch, one of several projects that Trump is pursuing alongside a White House ballroom to leave his imprint on Washington.
“The building is beautiful,” the commission’s chairman, Rodney Mims Cook Jr., said shortly before the vote on a design revised slightly from what was presented to the federal agency in April.
The arch would stand 250 feet tall from its base to a torch held aloft by a Lady Liberty-like figure on top of the structure. The statue would be flanked on top by two gilded eagles, but the four lions envisioned as guarding the base are now gone. The phrases “One Nation Under God” and “Liberty and Justice for All” would be inscribed in gold lettering atop either side of the monument.
Rendering of Trump triumphal arch that would sit between Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery submitted by Interior Dept. to Commission on Fine Arts, April 16, 2026.
A public observation deck on top would provide 360-degree views of the surroundings.
The commission’s vice chairman, architect James McCrery II, said in April that he preferred the arch without the figures on top, which would have reduced the arch’s height by about 80 feet. Critics of the project argue the arch would dominate the skyline and disrupt views from the Lincoln Memorial to Arlington National Cemetery.
At 250 feet, the arch would be significantly taller than the 99-foot Lincoln Memorial, which sits across Memorial Bridge. The Washington Monument is 555 feet.
Commissioners were told at Thursday’s meeting that Mr. Trump considered the suggestion to remove the statue on top “but elected not to pursue such an option.”
A rendering of President Trump’s proposed Independence Arch.
McCrery recommended doing away with the lions on the base and objected to plans for an underground tunnel for pedestrians to get to the arch, which would be built on a traffic circle. Both design elements have been removed.
Preliminary surveys and testing of the site began last week.
A group of veterans and a historian have sued the Trump administration in federal court to block construction on grounds that the arch would disrupt the sightline between the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington House at Arlington National Cemetery, among other reasons. So far, the judge has yet to intervene.
The commission received about 1,000 public comments. CFA secretary Thomas Luebke said that “100% of the comments were against the project,” reading one that criticized the arch’s scale. It said the arch would “assert itself as a dominant vertical element in a skyline that has resisted such intrusions.”
The Republican president and his interior secretary, Doug Burgum, have argued Washington is the only major Western world capital without such an arch. Burgum’s department includes the National Park Service, which manages the plot where Mr. Trump wants to put the arch.
In a post to Truth Social last month, the president said it “will be the GREATEST and MOST BEAUTIFUL Triumphal Arch, anywhere in the World.”
The president has said some of his other projects, such as adding a blue coating to the interior of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, will beautify the city in time for July 4 celebrations of America’s 250th birthday.
Trump’s rehab of the Reflecting Pool is also the subject of a court challenge brought by The Cultural Landscape Foundation, which said the administration’s moves to repaint the bottom of the Reflecting Pool blue without first undergoing relevant reviews ran afoul of federal preservation laws governing historic sites.
The nonprofit group argued in a lawsuit filed last week that the changes at the Reflecting Pool are part of Trump’s broader effort to push through dramatic renovations in Washington without proper reviews and undermine the tone of the area.
“No consulting parties have been notified, engaged, or given an opportunity to participate,” attorneys representing TCLF wrote in a 26-page complaint. “This latest desecration of the reflecting pool is part of a pattern — epitomized most notably by the rush to destroy the East Wing of the White House — in which this Administration willfully disregards legal limits established by Congress.”
A hearing in the case was scheduled for later Thursday in federal court in Washington.
Trump said Thursday he did not need approval from Congress for the arch.
“No, we’re doing it,” Trump said of building the arch. “The land is owned by … the Interior Department, we don’t need anything from Congress.”
发表回复