美国国立卫生研究院传染病研究所代理负责人已离职,参议员透露


2026-05-21T19:30:41.113Z / 路透社

2025年4月23日插画中展示的美国国立卫生研究院标志与美国国旗 REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

华盛顿5月21日路透电 – 两名民主党参议员周四在参议院听证会上透露,美国国立卫生研究院(NIH)下属传染病研究所的代理负责人已辞职,而此时美国正忙于应对埃博拉和汉坦病毒疫情。

杰弗里·陶本伯格于2025年4月出任美国国家过敏和传染病研究所(NIAID)代理负责人,此前唐纳德·特朗普政府罢免了该研究所前任所长。

晨间速递:《每日案卷》简报将最新法律新闻直接发送至您的收件箱。在此注册

参议员塔米·鲍德温在关于美国国立卫生研究院2027财年预算的听证会上开场时表示,陶本伯格已辞职,无法按计划出席作证。参议员帕蒂·默里也提及了陶本伯格的离职。

作为特朗普任命的国立卫生研究院院长,杰伊·巴塔查里亚在证词及回答议员提问时并未否认这一离职消息,他表示该研究所需要新的领导层,因为其将不再专注于民用生物防御工作。

负责监管国立卫生研究院的美国卫生与公众服务部未就陶本伯格的离职或美国国家过敏和传染病研究所的埃博拉应对工作置评。

鲍德温表示:“在埃博拉疫情新发之际,我们这座全球顶尖传染病研究所乃至整个卫生机构都陷入了领导真空,这令人极为担忧。”

在前行长安东尼·福奇任职期间,美国国家过敏和传染病研究所在美国应对新冠疫情以及2014至2016年西非埃博拉疫情中发挥了主导作用。

巴塔查里亚称,多年来美国国家过敏和传染病研究所一直专注于民用生物防御——即防范和应对生物袭击、疫情大流行等威胁,但特朗普政府希望将其工作重心转向埃博拉、汉坦病毒等新发传染病,同时优先开展过敏与免疫学研究。

“这一转变意味着我们需要新的领导层,”他补充道,并称离职的美国国家过敏和传染病研究所工作人员已被安排至国立卫生研究院的其他岗位。

曾被卫生部长小罗伯特·F·肯尼迪解雇的美国国家过敏和传染病研究所前负责人珍妮·马拉佐在采访中表示,“这座全球顶尖生物医学研究机构”似乎并未与研究人员和业界合作开发治疗手段以应对刚果(金)的埃博拉疫情,这一点令人非常担忧。

此次人事变动进一步加剧了这家全球最大生物医学研究公共资助机构的领导真空问题,国立卫生研究院下属27个研究所中有超过一半由代理负责人掌管。美国国家过敏和传染病研究所是该院第二大研究所,预算超过65亿美元。

本月大西洋海域一艘豪华邮轮上暴发安第斯型汉坦病毒疫情,造成三人死亡,美国目前暂无确诊病例。但包括18名在内布拉斯加州接受隔离人员在内的41人正被监测是否可能感染该病毒。

本报华盛顿记者艾哈迈德·阿布勒内因、芝加哥记者朱莉·斯坦休森报道;卡罗琳·休默、威尔·邓纳姆编辑

Acting head of US NIH infectious disease institute has left, senators say

2026-05-21T19:30:41.113Z / Reuters

United States National Institutes of Health logo and U.S. flag are seen in this illustration taken April 23, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

WASHINGTON, May 21 (Reuters) – The acting director of the U.S. NIH’s infectious disease institute has stepped down, two Democratic senators said on Thursday during a Senate hearing, even as the United States ​scrambles to respond to Ebola and hantavirus outbreaks.

Jeffery Taubenberger became acting director of the National Institute ‌of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in April 2025 after President Donald Trump’s administration pushed out the previous head.

Jumpstart your morning with the latest legal news delivered straight to your inbox from The Daily Docket newsletter. Sign up here.

Senator Tammy Baldwin opened the hearing on the National Institutes of Health’s 2027 budget by saying that Taubenberger had stepped down and would not testify as ​planned. Senator Patty Murray also mentioned Taubenberger’s departure.

NIH Director Jay Bhattacharya, a Trump appointee, in his own ​testimony and responses to questions from lawmakers did not dispute the departure, saying that ⁠the institute needs new leadership because it will no longer focus on civilian biodefense.

The Department of Health and ​Human Services, which oversees the NIH, did not respond to questions on Taubenberger’s exit or the NIAID’s role in ​Ebola response efforts.

“In the midst of an emerging Ebola outbreak, we have a leadership vacuum at the world’s premier infectious disease institute and across our health agencies. This is of great concern,” Baldwin said.

Under former director Anthony Fauci, NIAID played a leading role ​in the U.S. response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Bhattacharya said NIAID ​had focused on civilian biodefense – meaning preventing and preparing for threats like biological attacks and pandemics – for years but that the ‌Trump ⁠administration wanted to shift its focus to infectious diseases when they emerge, such as Ebola and hantavirus, and also prioritize allergy and immunology.

“That shift means that we need some new leadership,” he said, adding that departing NIAID staff had been assigned to other roles at NIH.

Jeanne Marrazzo, who was fired as the head of NIAID by ​Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy ​Jr., said in an ⁠interview that it is very concerning that “the world’s premier biomedical research institute” does not appear to be working with researchers and industry to develop treatments to address the ​Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The exits add to the leadership ​vacuum at the ⁠world’s largest public funder of biomedical research, with more than half of the NIH’s 27 institutes led by acting directors. NIAID is the agency’s second largest institute, with a budget of over $6.5 billion.

There are no confirmed cases in the ⁠United States ​of the Andes hantavirus that killed three people in an outbreak ​aboard a luxury cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean this month. But 41 people, including 18 quarantined in Nebraska, are being monitored for ​possible infection.

Reporting by Ahmed Aboulenein in Washington and Julie Steenhuysen in Chicago; editing by Caroline Humer and Will Dunham

评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注