2026-05-21T08:18:00-0400 / 哥伦比亚广播公司新闻(CBS News)
作者:卡米洛·蒙托亚-加尔韦斯 移民事务通讯员
卡米洛·蒙托亚-加尔韦斯是哥伦比亚广播公司新闻的移民事务通讯员,其报道在多个节目和平台播出,包括全国广播节目、CBS News 24/7、CBSNews.com以及该机构的社交媒体账号。
阅读完整简历
更新时间:2026年5月21日 / 美国东部时间上午9:41 / 哥伦比亚广播公司新闻
在谷歌上添加哥伦比亚广播公司新闻
美国司法部官员周四表示,特朗普政府本周招募了80多名新的联邦移民法官,这是其加速驱逐案件、在全国范围内加大打击非法移民力度的最新举措。
负责监管美国移民法院系统的司法部当天宣誓就职77名常任移民法官和5名临时移民法官。官员们称,这是该部门历史上规模最大的一届移民法官团队。
此次扩招是在特朗普政府过去一年在全国范围内解雇数十名移民法官之后进行的。特朗普总统就职时,司法部拥有700多名移民法官。到今年早些时候,这一数字已降至600人以下。司法部官员表示,新一届法官团队将使移民法官队伍人数回升至接近700人。
移民法官负责裁定政府试图驱逐的非公民是否应被驱逐出境,还是允许其留在美国。尽管拥有法官头衔,但移民法官并非独立司法部门的一员,而是司法部的雇员。司法部在美国各地运营着数十个移民法院,以及一个上诉移民法院。
尽管隶属于行政部门,但移民法官应保持中立,不得偏袒非公民或寻求驱逐他们的移民海关执法局(ICE)律师。不过,特朗普政府在官方招聘广告中将这些职位称为“驱逐法官”,在一则招聘广告中呼吁潜在申请者为“刑事性非法外籍人士”“伸张正义”。
作为其大规模驱逐行动的一部分,特朗普政府一直在寻求改革美国的移民法院体系,因为在许多情况下,移民必须先收到驱逐令才能被驱逐。
此次改革包括解雇100多名移民法官,其中包括许多在拜登政府时期任命的法官。一些被特朗普政府解雇的法官表示,他们认为自己被解雇是因为没有足够有力地推动驱逐程序,或是因为曾有帮助或倡导移民的背景。
在过去一年中,司法部还发布了多项指令和具有先例效力的命令,严格限制移民法官在何时可以为面临驱逐的申请人提供庇护或其他救济形式,以及何时可以批准被ICE拘留的人员保释。
司法部官员表示,新一届移民法官于周三在华盛顿特区宣誓就职。
根据司法部提供的个人简历,本周加入司法部团队的大多数移民法官此前曾担任ICE律师、检察官或在军队中担任军官、军法顾问等职务。其中一些人曾担任州或地方法官,或是私人执业律师。
司法部官员表示,特朗普政府在2026财年(始于2025年10月)已雇佣了153名常任移民法官。
代理司法部长托德·布兰奇在周四的一份声明中表示,特朗普政府“致力于重建一支致力于恢复美国移民体系中法律统治的移民法官队伍”。
布兰奇说:“这一切都要归功于特朗普总统的果断领导和对边界安全的承诺。”
美国移民律师协会政府关系高级主任格雷格·陈指责特朗普政府试图“迫使”移民法官“成为执法工具,而非公正的裁决者”。
陈表示,“驱逐法官”的招聘广告表明,移民法院“并非我们所期望的那样公平或独立,而是完全被一位剥夺了其权力、并利用它们来推行其大规模驱逐行动的总统所控制”。
近年来,由于非法穿越南部边境的 asylum 申请人激增,移民法院案件数量激增。数百万起案件的积压严重影响了政府及时审理许多案件的能力,导致决策等待时间长达数年。
司法部官员周四表示,自2025年1月以来,他们已将未决移民法院案件的积压量从400万起减少至约350万起。
Trump administration onboards largest-ever class of new immigration judges in bid to speed up deportation cases
2026-05-21T08:18:00-0400 / CBS News
By Camilo Montoya-Galvez Immigration Correspondent
Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the Immigration Correspondent at CBS News, where his reporting is featured across multiple programs and platforms, including national broadcast shows, CBS News 24/7, CBSNews.com and the organization’s social media accounts.
Read Full Bio
Updated on: May 21, 2026 / 9:41 AM EDT / CBS News
Add CBS News on Google
The Trump administration this week onboarded more than 80 new federal immigration judges, in its latest push to expedite deportation cases and further its government-wide crackdown on illegal immigration, Justice Department officials said Thursday.
The Justice Department, which oversees the U.S. immigration court system, swore in 77 permanent immigration judges and 5 temporary immigration judges, a group that officials described as the largest class of immigration judges in the department’s history.
The additions come after the ouster of dozens of immigration judges across the country by the Trump administration over the past year. When President Trump took office, the Justice Department had more than 700 immigration judges. By earlier this year, that number had dipped below 600. Justice Department officials said the new class would bring the immigration judge corps back closer to 700 members.
Immigration judges decide whether noncitizens the government is seeking to deport should be removed from the U.S. or allowed to stay. Despite their title, immigration judges are not part of the independent judicial branch and are instead employees of the Justice Department, which runs dozens of immigration courts across the U.S., as well as an appellate immigration court.
While they’re part of the executive branch, immigration judges are expected to be neutral, and not show bias towards noncitizens or the Immigration and Customs Enforcement lawyers seeking their deportation. Still, the Trump administration has publicly referred to them as “deportation judges” in official job listings, calling on potential applicants in one ad to “deliver justice” to “criminal illegal aliens.”
As part of its mass deportation campaign, Mr. Trump’s administration has sought to overhaul the country’s immigration courts, since, in many cases, immigrants have to be issued removal orders before being deported.
That overhaul has included a purge of more than 100 immigration judges, including many appointed under the Biden administration. Some of the judges ousted under the Trump administration have said they believe they were fired over not sufficiently pushing deportations or having backgrounds helping or advocating for immigrants.
Over the past year, the Justice Department has also issued directives and precedent-setting orders sharply restricting when immigration judges can grant asylum or other forms of relief to those facing deportation, and when they can release those in ICE detention on bond.
The new class of immigration judges was sworn in on Wednesday in Washington, D.C., Justice Department officials said.
Most of the immigration judges joining the Justice Department’s ranks this week had previously worked as ICE lawyers, prosecutors or in the military, as officers, judge advocates or other roles, according to bios provided by the department. Some worked as state or local judges, or as lawyers in private practice.
Justice Department officials said the administration has hired 153 permanent immigration judges in fiscal year 2026, which began in October 2025.
In a statement Thursday, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said the Trump administration is “committed to reestablishing an immigration judge corps that is dedicated to restoring the rule to the law in our nation’s immigration system.”
“This could only happen thanks to President Trump’s decisive leadership and commitment to securing our borders,” Blanche said.
Greg Chen, senior director for government relations at the American Immigration Lawyers Association, accused the Trump administration of seeking to “compel” immigration judges to “act as tools of enforcement, not impartial adjudicators.”
Chen said the “deportation judge” job listings show immigration courts “are not fair or independent in the way we expect them to be but are completely controlled by a President who has stripped them of power and is using them to execute his mass deportation campaign.”
Over the past years, the number of immigration court cases has ballooned, fueled by a surge in asylum requests by those crossing the southern border illegally. The backlog of millions of cases has crippled the government’s ability to decide many cases in a timely manner, leading to years-long waits for decisions.
On Thursday, Justice Department officials said they had reduced the backlog of pending immigration court cases from 4 million to around 3.5 million since January 2025.
发表回复