2026年5月22日 / 美国东部时间下午2:59 / 哥伦比亚广播公司(CBS)新闻
记者
卡米洛·蒙托亚-加尔韦斯 移民事务通讯员
卡米洛·蒙托亚-加尔韦斯是哥伦比亚广播公司新闻的移民事务通讯员,其报道在多个节目和平台播出,包括全国广播节目、CBS新闻24小时频道、CBSNews.com以及该机构的社交媒体账号。
阅读完整简历
特朗普政府于周五宣布一项全面政策,旨在加大已在美国境内的移民获取永久居留权(即绿卡)的难度,进一步推进其大幅限制合法移民的举措。
官员们表示,他们将取消多数申请绿卡的移民无需离开美国即可完成流程的选项。官员们称,在大多数情况下,这些移民将被要求返回本国,通过美国驻外领事馆在海外申请移民签证。
现任和前任美国移民官员告诉CBS新闻,周五发布的这份备忘录可能会产生广泛影响,迫使学生、游客和其他临时签证持有者,以及合法入境但逾期居留者等群体,在通过美国公民配偶或雇主提交担保申请绿卡前离开美国。
对许多移民而言,回国可能会让他们难以甚至无法重返美国。
根据特朗普总统以国家安全为由签署的一项被称为“旅行禁令”的公告,目前有39个国家(大多位于非洲和亚洲)的公民直接被禁止或限制入境美国。特朗普政府的另一项政策暂停了75个国家的公民申请永久移居美国的所有移民签证,理由是这些人可能成为经济负担。此外,在大多数情况下,逾期居留并在美国非法居住一段时间的人若离开美国,将面临10年内不得重新入境的禁令。
曾在共和党和民主党政府时期担任美国公民及移民服务局(USCIS)高级官员、于去年离职的迈克尔·巴尔德雷表示,周五的宣布将“每年扰乱数十万家庭和雇主的计划”。
“这是一项几乎前所未有的举措,将大幅限制合法移民进入美国,”巴尔德雷说,“那些一直严格遵守规则的人如今面临巨大的不确定性。”
美国公民及移民服务局周五发布的这份备忘录旨在大幅限制该机构通过“身份调整”程序发放绿卡的情形。该程序允许符合条件的在美国境内的移民无需返回美国、无需在美国领事馆申请永久居留签证即可获得绿卡。
备忘录指示美国公民及移民服务局官员将身份调整程序视为“例外”救济和“行政宽限”行为,辩称国会在联邦法律中暗示,大多数绿卡申请应在海外完成流程。官员们被指示将申请人选择在美国境内申请身份调整而非前往海外领事馆办理流程的行为视为其申请中的“不利因素”。
尽管该政策的豁免范围未明确列出,但备忘录暗示,持有所谓“双重意图”签证的人群,例如高技能工人的H-1B签证持有者,以及难民和寻求庇护者,仍可在美国境内通过身份调整程序申请绿卡。
“从现在起,暂时留在美国并想要获得绿卡的外籍人士必须返回本国申请,除非存在特殊情况,”美国公民及移民服务局发言人扎克·卡勒在一份声明中表示,“这项政策让我们的移民系统按照法律初衷运转,而非纵容漏洞。”
卡勒表示,该政策还将减少“寻找和驱逐那些在居留申请被拒后潜入阴影、非法留在美国的人员”的需求。
曾在拜登政府时期担任美国公民及移民服务局高级官员的道格·兰德表示,由于每年有50万人通过身份调整程序获得绿卡,这些变化可能影响数十万起案件。他补充道,持学生签证和其他临时签证在美国的美国公民移民配偶可能是受此次政策变化影响最大的群体之一。
“此举的主要影响似乎是,让大量美国公民难以甚至无法与他们合法入境的配偶共同正常生活,”兰德说。
兰德补充道,许多被迫离开美国的人可能会被困在海外。
“想象一下,你爱上了来自伊朗、俄罗斯或其他114个国家的人,如果你回国尝试在该国申请永久居留,特朗普政府不会让你入境,”兰德说道。
Trump administration to require most immigrants seeking green cards to leave the U.S. first
May 22, 2026 / 2:59 PM EDT / CBS News
By
Camilo Montoya-Galvez Immigration Correspondent
Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the Immigration Correspondent at CBS News, where his reporting is featured across multiple programs and platforms, including national broadcast shows, CBS News 24/7, CBSNews.com and the organization’s social media accounts.
Read Full Bio
The Trump administration on Friday announced a sweeping policy designed to make it harder for immigrants already in the U.S. to get permanent residency, or a green card, furthering its campaign to sharply limit legal immigration.
Officials said they would eliminate the option for many immigrants seeking a green card to complete the process without having to leave the U.S. Instead, in most cases, those immigrants will be required to return to their home countries in order to apply for an immigrant visa overseas through an American consulate, officials said.
Current and former U.S. immigration officials told CBS News the memo published Friday would likely have wide-ranging implications, forcing groups like students, tourists and other temporary visa holders, as well as those who entered legally but overstayed their visas, to leave the country before trying to obtain a green card through sponsorships filed by U.S. citizen spouses or employers.
For many immigrants, going back home could make it difficult or impossible for them to return to the U.S.
Citizens of 39 countries, most of them in Africa and Asia, currently face outright bans or restrictions from entering the U.S. under a proclamation, known as the “travel ban,” signed by President Trump on national security grounds. A separate Trump administration policy has paused all grants of immigrant visas for people in 75 countries seeking to move to the U.S. permanently, arguing that they could become economic burdens. Additionally, in most cases, people who overstayed their visas and have lived in the U.S. illegally for some time would trigger 10-year bans from reentering the country if they leave.
Michael Valverde, who was a senior official at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services under Republican and Democratic administrations until his departure last year, said Friday’s announcement would “disrupt the plans of hundreds of thousands of families and employers annually.”
“This is a largely unprecedented move that will limit lawful immigration to the U.S. greatly,” Valverde said. “People who followed the rules faithfully now face tremendous uncertainty.”
The memo published by USCIS on Friday seeks to dramatically restrict when the agency can allow immigrants to get a green card through the “adjustment of status” process. That allows eligible immigrants in the U.S. to get a green card, without having to return to the U.S. and seek permanent residency through a visa application at an American consulate.
The memo instructed USCIS officers to treat the adjustment of status process as an “extraordinary” relief and act of “administrative grace,” arguing that Congress suggested in federal law that most green card applications should complete the process abroad. Officers were directed to treat someone’s decision to seek adjustment of status, instead of the consular process overseas, as “adverse factors” in their applications.
While exemptions to the policy were not precisely outlined, the memo suggested that people with so-called “dual intent” visas, such as H-1Bs for high-skilled workers, as well as refugees and asylees, would still be allowed to apply for a green card in the U.S. through the adjustment of status process.
“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” USCIS spokesman Zach Kahler said in a statement. “This policy allows our immigration system to function as the law intended instead of incentivizing loopholes.”
Kahler said the policy would also reduce the “need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the U.S. illegally after being denied residency.”
Doug Rand, a former senior USCIS official under the Biden administration, said the changes could affect hundreds of thousands of cases, since half a million people get green cards each year through the adjustment of status process. Immigrant spouses of U.S. citizens who are in the country on student and other temporary visas, he added, will likely be among those most affected by the changes.
“The primary impact of this appears to be to make it difficult or impossible for very large numbers of U.S. citizens to get on with their lives with the people they’ve chosen to marry who came here legally,” Rand said.
Many of those forced to leave the U.S., Rand added, may get stuck overseas.
“Imagine you fall in love with someone from Iran or Russia, or again, 114 different countries, where if you go back and try to apply for a permanent residency from that country, the Trump administration will not let you in,” Rand said.
发表回复