2026-05-21T15:51:09.675Z / https://www.cnn.com/2026/05/21/politics/trump-arch-commission-of-fine-arts
当地时间周四,一家关键机构批准了该建筑的修改方案,唐纳德·特朗普总统打造全球最高凯旋门的设想朝实现又近了一步。
不过,这座纪念碑的总高度将低于此前的提议方案。
在修改后的设计中,拱门主体仍保持250英尺高,但由于美国美术委员会——一个为总统和国会提供纪念碑、纪念币、联邦建筑设计方案咨询意见的机构——此前审议的版本中包含的8英尺高基座被移除,整座建筑的总高度有所降低。
此前沿拱门基座两侧装饰的四只金狮也已被移除——美术委员会推动这项改动的理由是,狮子“并非美国本土物种”。
若计入地面抬高部分,此前的方案曾计划让这座纪念碑的总高度超过280英尺。
尽管该项目遭到了绝大多数公众的反对,批准流程仍以“除白宫宴会厅改造外前所未有的速度”强行推进,一位了解该流程的消息人士透露。
由总统任命了大批亲信的该委员会此前已经批准了该拱门的初步设计方案。
在周四委员会会议上通过的最新版本设计中,外立面将采用花岗岩而非特朗普青睐的大理石——后者也曾在备选方案之列——原因是花岗岩强度更高、更耐用。
与此同时,新版设计中拱门的进深有所加宽。
美术委员会成员玛丽·安·卡特表示,她认可新设计中移除装饰元素的做法,因为这将更好地协调拱门与对面阿灵顿国家公墓庄严肃穆的纪念碑之间的美学风格。
特朗普最初聘请负责改造白宫东翼宴会厅的建筑师詹姆斯·麦克克里此前曾提出,对拱门顶部的带翼自由女神像造型存在担忧,但政府方面极力淡化了这一顾虑。
由内政部官员代表的特朗普政府表示,总统已审阅了委员会要求修改雕塑造型的提议,“但选择不推进这一方案,同时恭敬地指出,在这一问题上可能存在不同的审美意见分歧”。
这座仿照巴黎凯旋门打造的凯旋门,是特朗普为重塑首都城市风格提出的众多个人设想之一。其他一系列改动包括东翼宴会厅改造、沿波托马克河打造美国英雄雕塑园、将肯尼迪艺术中心更名以加入他的名字、修建高尔夫球场以及改造林肯纪念堂倒影池水质——其中倒影池改造项目将于周四晚些时候面临法庭挑战。
该拱门计划选址于阿灵顿国家公墓入口与林肯纪念堂之间的环岛,初衷是为纪念美国建国250周年,计划于7月完工。
与此前委员会会议的情况一样,获得发言机会的公众代表包括专业文物保护人士、历史学家和民间团体,他们对该项目给出了严厉的批评评价。
他们指出,选址、高度、设计以及审批程序不规范都是担忧点。委员会承认,自上次征集公众意见以来,他们又收到了600条新的公众评论,其中99.5%持反对态度。
该拱门还引发了安全方面的担忧:它的选址距离美国最繁忙的机场之一罗纳德·里根华盛顿国家机场不到两英里,可能会干扰航空交通,而本已拥挤复杂的空域上已经存在众多飞行障碍。
美国有线电视新闻网(CNN)此前曾报道,内政部已要求美国联邦航空管理局开展正式的航空研究,以确定该拱门是否会对航班构成威胁,这也是一名公众代表提出的担忧点。
该项目接下来还需获得国家首都规划委员会的批准,这是另一个由总统任命大批亲信组成的联邦委员会。
该拱门正面临一个越南退伍军人团体的法律挑战,该团体认为该项目规模过大,会遮挡阿灵顿国家公墓的景观,并遭到了历史学家和文物保护人士的批评。
该团体辩称,该项目需要获得国会批准才能推进。
但政府方面表示,计划利用一项已有百年历史的冷门授权条款,绕过国会审批程序。
该项目已经在规划中的拱门场地启动了一些初步评估工作。上周,CNN记者观察到施工人员使用钻机在地面进行钻探作业。
内政部表示,此举是项目正式获批前“法定要求”的工作内容。
内政部发言人在接受CNN采访时表示:“纪念环岛的场地勘察工作已经启动,比如岩土工程勘察,这是法定要求的。这是测试场地和土壤的标准流程。在提交最终方案之前,正在进行的岩土工程和场地勘察工作都是必需的。”
Trump arch moves ahead — but monument loses eight feet and four lions
2026-05-21T15:51:09.675Z / https://www.cnn.com/2026/05/21/politics/trump-arch-commission-of-fine-arts
President Donald Trump’s quest to have the tallest arch in the world took one step closer to being realized on Thursday after a key agency approved a revised design of the structure.
However, the overall height of the monument will be lower than previously proposed.
While the arch remains 250 feet tall in the revised design, the overall height of the structure shrank with the removal of an eight-foot-tall base that had been included in a previous version presented to the Commission of Fine Arts, an agency that advises the president and Congress on design plans for monuments, memorials, coins and federal buildings.
Four gold lions that had previously adorned the side of the arch along the base have also been removed – a change the CFA had pushed for given that lions are “not native to the United States.”
When the elevation off the ground is included, the previous plan would have brought the total height of the monument to over 280 feet.
The approval came despite an overwhelmingly negative public response to the project and was rammed through “at unprecedented speed, except for the White House ballroom,” a source with knowledge of the process said.
The committee, to which the president has appointed a slew of loyalists, had already approved a preliminary set of designs for the arch.
In the iteration passed during the commission’s meeting Thursday, granite – and not Trump’s favorite material, marble, which had also been under consideration – will be used for the exterior owing to its strength and durability.
At the same time, the depth of the arch has widened in the new designs.
Mary Anne Carter, one of the CFA panel members, said she appreciated the removal of the embellishments in the new design as it would better bridge the aesthetic between the arch and the somber markers of Arlington National Cemetery on the other side.
Concerns previously raised by James McCrery, the architect Trump originally hired to build a new ballroom at the White House and now member of the CFA, over the tall, winged Lady Liberty figure that tops the arch were fiercely downplayed by the administration.
The president looked at the commission’s request to change the sculptural figures, “but elected not to pursue such an option while respectfully noting the differences of aesthetic opinion that may exist on the subject,” the administration, represented by an official from the Interior department, said.
The Triumphal arch, modeled after Paris’ Arc de Triomphe, is one of numerous personal endeavors that Trump has put forward in his effort to remake the style of the capital city. The long list of other changes includes the East Wing ballroom; a sculpture garden of American Heroes along the Potomac river; rechristening the Kennedy Center to include his name; building a golf course and dyeing the waters of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool – a project that will face a court challenge later on Thursday.
The arch is planned for the traffic circle between the Arlington National Cemetery’s entrance and the Lincoln Memorial and was envisioned to mark the nation’s 250 th anniversary in July.
As during previous meetings of the commission, members of the public who were given a chance to speak, including professional preservationists, historians and civic groups, gave withering assessments of the project.
Location, height, design and lack of proper approval process were all concerns, they said.Since last collection of public comment, the CFA has received 600 new public comments. Of those, 99.5% were negative, the committee admitted.
The arch has also raised safety concerns over its potential to interfere with air traffic, as it would be situated less than two miles from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, one of the busiest in the nation, and add to numerous obstacles already making the crowded airspace tricky to navigate.
CNN previously reported that the Department of Interior has requested a formal aeronautical study from the Federal Aviation Administration to determine if the arch is a hazard to flights, which was also brought up as a concern by a member of the public.
It must next win approval from the National Capitol Planning Commission (NCPC), another federal committee that has similarly been stacked with loyalists.
The arch is facing a legal challenge from a Vietnam War veterans’ group related to its scale and obstruction of the view of the Arlington National Cemetery and has drawn criticism from historians and preservationists.
The group argues that the project will need Congressional approval to move forward.
However, the administration has said it plans to use an obscure century-old authorization to bypass getting Congressional permission.
It has already begun some initial assessment work at the site of the planned arch. Last week CNN observed construction crews with a rig drilling into the ground.
The Department of Interior said the move was part of “statutorily required” work ahead of a formal approval for the project.
“Site surveys, such as geotechnical work, have started in Memorial Circle which is statutorily required. This is standard practice to test the grounds and soil. The ongoing geotechnical and site survey work are required before providing a final proposal,” a department spokesperson told CNN.
发表回复